Monday, March 31, 2008

Craig Lehman re Special Interest Contributions

The following is NewsLanc reporter Matt Henderson's interview on March 19 of Commissioner Craig Lehman concerning the $46,000 in election contributions he received from special interest groups, many of which have no apparent reason to be supporting a candidate for Lancaster County Commissioner:

Q: How do you respond to the revelation that much of your campaign, unlike Molly Henderson's, was funded by statewide political action committees, people involved with Penn Square Partners, and individuals from outside the County?

Lehman: I think I have the most diverse camp – fundraising list – of any candidate in the race and I can stack it up with anyone.

In fact, if you go back and look at the report, you'll see that I reported every individual who contributed. And I challenged all the other candidates to do the same.

Q: What interests did statewide PACs have in supporting a candidate for County Commissioner? You know, on the list there were political action committees and interest groups from Harrisburg, Philadelphia... unions and such from outside the area. What interest do they have in supporting a candidate for (Lancaster) County Commissioner?

Lehman: Maybe they got to know that I bring a degree of professionalism to every job I've ever done. And maybe they were simply supporting someone they had confidence would do a good job. That's what I would like to think.

Q: Were these PAC contributions solicited, perhaps, by Mike Sturla or Senator Gib Armstrong?

Lehman: I did all my own fundraising. I can't say I didn't have some help. That would be inappropriate, but for the most part I did all my own fundraising.

Lehman added: "They [PACs/interest groups/donors] saw me as the most qualified candidate. That's what I would like to think.... You'd have to ask them."